Our commitment to sustainability, beyond the words on a page.
The world is not such a lonely planet anymore but the very resources we promote through tourism are in danger of degradation. With such a huge rise in tourism has come an environmental cost as well as a lack of clarity around what sustainable tourism actually means.
We want to encourage a sustainable tourism community in the Azores. One that welcomes you with warm smiles, authentic local cuisine, and the wonders of the natural environment. while you will not be the only visitor to the Azores, you can ensure it is preserved and protected for future generations and guests to enjoy.
In order to develop a sustainable tourism we believe in the following, and we work to make sure Solar Branco 1885 is as environmentally aware and actioning as we can be:
- Sound business planning balanced with environmental management
- Sensitivity to cultural and social dynamics of the Azores region
- A property-wide ban on plastic straws and single-use cups as well as reusable water bottles in all rooms
- Recycling facilities in all rooms (paper and plastics – we are working on other materials)
- A long-term vision for improving the eco-credentials of the property (such as solar panels and water conservation)
- A ban on pesticides, harsh chemicals (such as chlorine) on the property and grounds
- Marketing and communications programs to showcase the positives of sustainable tourism within the Airbnb community as well as the wider Azores tourism community
- And most importantly, careful selection and promotion to our guests of responsible tourism providers
(Read more about our commitment to UN accredited sustainable tourism here)
By staying at Solar Branco 1885 you are making a comitmment to sustainable tourism as well as helping to raise aweness amongst guest hotels on the island as to what can be done. We aim to do more than just put words on a page and we welcome input and ideas on how we can do more to promote sustainable tourism in the Azores. Each year we will release a report on our steps and progress towards a zero impact property.